The National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Exam (NMMS) is an exam conducted by the Government of India for students in class 8th. The main objective of the exam is to identify and provide financial assistance to meritorious students from economically weaker sections of society, who have the potential to excel academically. The exam aims to encourage students to complete their secondary and higher secondary education, and pursue higher studies or vocational training, thereby promoting equality of opportunity. The exam consists of two papers – Mental Ability Test (MAT) and Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), and students who clear the exam are awarded scholarships for their further education.
MHRD issues guidelines that are to be followed by students to be eligible for NMMS and avail scholarship further as well. NMMS 2022-23 eligibility criteria are listed below:
- Students must be studying in class VIII and must have a minimum 55% score (50% for reserved categories) in class VII.
- The annual income of the applicant’s parents must not be more than ₹ 3,50,000.
- In order to continue the scholarship, students must obtain 55% (50% for reserved categories) in class IX and XI and 60% (55% for reserved categories) in the class X exam.
- Students of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Kendriya Vidyalaya and Sainik Schools cannot apply for the scholarship.
- Students studying in residential schools run by State government institutions with facilities like boarding, lodging and education cannot apply as well.
- Students pursuing their studies in private schools cannot apply for NMMS 2022 exam as well.
Date of Examination
|13 November, 2023
Application & Exam Mode
Mode of Application
|Mode of Exam
Offline (Pen and Paper based)
How to Register
- Register on- National Scholarship Portal (scholarships.gov.in)
- Visit the official website: Go to the official website https://entdata.co.in/ which conducts the NMMS Exam.
- Check eligibility: Before registering, make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria, which typically includes being a student of class 8 in a recognized school and having a certain minimum percentage of marks in class 7.
- The student must be studying in class 8 in a recognized school in Uttar Pradesh.
- The student must have scored at least 55% marks (50% for SC/ST and PH candidates) in class 7 annual examination.
- The annual income of the student’s parents should not exceed ₹ 3,50,000 (Rupees three Lakh Fifty Thousand only) from all sources.
- The student must be pursuing his/her studies in a government, local body or government-aided school in Uttar Pradesh.
- The student must be a resident of Uttar Pradesh.
- Download the application form: Download the NMMS Exam application form from the official website.
- Fill in the application form: Fill in the required details in the application form, including personal details, educational qualifications, and contact information.
- Attach documents: Attach the required documents, which may include a scanned copy of your duly filled NMMS application form:
- Class 7 mark sheet: The student must attach a copy of the mark sheet of class 7 annual examination.
- Income certificate: The student must provide a valid income certificate issued by the competent authority. The income certificate should not be older than six months.
- Caste certificate (if applicable): If the student belongs to a reserved category, then he/she must provide a valid caste certificate issued by the competent authority.
- Domicile certificate: The student must provide a valid domicile certificate to prove that he/she is a resident of Uttar Pradesh.
- School certificate: The student must attach a certificate from the school principal certifying that he/she is studying in class 8 in the school.
- Passport size photograph: The student must attach a recent passport size photograph.
- Student signature
- Submit the application form: Once you have filled in all the required details and attached the necessary documents, submit the application form through online, as per the instructions provided on the website https://entdata.co.in/.
- Download the admit card: After the application process is complete, download the admit card from the official website https://entdata.co.in/ before the exam date. The admit card will contain details such as the exam date, time, and venue.
- Financial assistance: The scholarship provides financial assistance of ₹ 12,000 per annum for four years to students from economically weaker backgrounds, which helps them continue their studies without any financial burden.
- Encourages education: The scholarship scheme aims to encourage students to continue their education and reduce the dropout rate at the secondary level.
- Merit-based selection: The selection of students is based on a written examination, which tests their mental ability, reasoning skills, and general knowledge, ensuring that only deserving students receive the scholarship.
- Career opportunities: The scholarship helps deserving students to complete their secondary and higher secondary education, which enhances their career prospects and opens up more opportunities for higher education and better jobs in the future.
- Mental Ability Test
- Reasoning and critical thinking
- Numerical series
- Pattern perception
- Hidden figure
- Scholastic Aptitude Test
- Social studies and mathematics